This episode took me the longest to produce of any so far. There are a number of reasons, partly because my story had its own twists and updates I will eventually get to when I record the most recent part of my story. And, I changed up some features in the audio. I hope you like it!
The overall theme underlying the messages to the seven churches is a response to their compromise. Whether listening to the wrong teachings or letting fear control the life of the heart and church — or simply not giving him full authority. Jesus wants his followers to keep up the purity he provides. Believe it or not, we can live with a clear conscience. Being a Christ-follower should be a life of restfulness and light living. The pure gospel purifies the whole person.
And the reward for the free gift of purity? Well, read about all of them in these two chapters in Revelation! They are, quite literally, out of this world!
THE BOOK OF LIFE IN THE BIBLE
- “But now, if you will forgive their sin—but if not, please blot me out of your book that you have written.” But the Lord said to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against me, I will blot out of my book.” Exodus 32:32-33
- You have kept count of my wanderings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? Psalm 56:8
- Let them be blotted out of the book of the living; let them not be enrolled among the righteous. Psalm 69:28
- Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. Psalm 139:16 This one is some of the basis for my understanding of how our story is best when it’s integrated into The Story!
- At that time shall arise Michael, the great prince who has charge of your people. And there shall be a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book. Daniel 12:1
- Yes, I ask you also, true companion, help these women, who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life. Philippians 4:3
The rest of them are all found only in Revelation!
- The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels. Revelation 3:5
- And all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain. Revelation 13:8
- The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to rise from the bottomless pit and go to destruction. And the dwellers on earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will marvel to see the beast, because it was and is not and is to come. Revelation 17:8
- And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. Revelation 20:12
- And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:15
- But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life. Revelation 21:27
Dr. Gane’s book, the volume of the NIV Application Commentary on Leviticus and Numbers can be found here.
This book, Faith that Works, just about saved my faith! I learned the power of God’s grace toward me in the midst of so many failures early in my Christian walk.
Meanwhile, please share below so others can see parts of your story, and maybe we can talk on the podcast!